Announcements
Welcome to Bloom @ CherryBlossom Sims! Please register for full access to our forum. We look forward to meeting you! You need 10 posts to access our Resident Artists download area. All new members please read our forum rules before posting. Thank you!
Hello!
Staff Online
If you love our forum...
Latest topics
» Blondes Vs brunettes!
Today at 7:41 pm by patty3060

» Anidup's Album ** UPDATED 3 September 2017
Today at 7:16 pm by anidup

» Help please with SimPE
Today at 6:15 pm by Samantha61

» Spring Siggies 2017
Today at 6:00 pm by Samantha61

» {SOLVED}I have lost the link to MysticRain's Pillows and Echo's rugs
Today at 5:48 pm by Oldbox

» ALBUM UPDATE 22.09.2017
Today at 5:32 pm by sunkal

» Sims 4 CC finds
Today at 3:49 pm by EziosMinionSixx

» Lorry's Sims 4 Album *UPDATED 21st September,2017
Today at 3:46 pm by anidup

» All 4 Sims - Updates 2017
Today at 3:19 pm by anidup

» How Did You Discover The Sims?
Today at 3:17 pm by anidup

» I love the community!
Today at 3:03 pm by trintrin27

» New hereeeee!
Today at 3:02 pm by trintrin27

» hello everyone!
Today at 3:01 pm by trintrin27

» Hello!
Today at 3:00 pm by trintrin27

» I'm new
Today at 3:00 pm by trintrin27

Whats new?

TS4: Rug RC's by TaTschu

New story by Joanne Easter

TS3: Jack Daniels Set RC's by poppy100

TS4:Exo the war poster by iCedxLemonAde

TS4: Autumn decor set by Chicklet45368

TS4: Ceiling Roses by Anidup

TS3: Painting RC's by Poppy100

TS4: Towel Cape RC by iCedxLemonAde

TS4: Towel RC by iCedxLemonAde

TS4: Flip Flops RC by iCedxLemonAde

TS4: Bikini by iCedxLemonAde

TS4: Painting RC by Anidup

TS4: Painting RC by Anidup

Dropbox is going to disable the public folder and deactivate links.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Samantha61
Awards : Bought us a coffee!

PostSamantha61 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:51 am

I read this a few weeks ago somewhere else and forgot about it and now am finding it again..not a good thing for retired Creators..and other that are using Dropbox..

HERE

Now how and what can we do to find all these sites/creators that are using Dropbox and have retired or just moved on..there so are many out there..

I don't even know when this was posted so not sure when this will start..

Sad day for all the CC Creators, retired and active as well as everyone that will be missing out on a lot of awesome creations..

I am with the person who wrote this I’m definitely up for helping with downloading and rehosting files but unable to organize project that big.

So if anyone knows how to do this please let us know..

Thank  you

Thank you so much Crissi, it's beautiful
~hugs and smiles my dear, dear BFF's~
I am so proud of all of you..
valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr
caravirt
Total Awards : 2

Postcaravirt on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Yes, I´m affected by this myself. Use Dropbox for nearly all my presentation pictures and also our update images (bout 3.000 images). angry

I got an email with more infos: cause I´m one of the 'old' dropbox users, my deadline is March 2017. Then all links I used for sharing my pictures will be turned into 'private' so that all actual links will be broken. But the mail says, that I can release them again in another way. Didn´t really understand how this should work and if I´m able to provide this before all links will be turned into 'private', so I send a request to Dropbox. Hope I´ll get a positive answer soon.

But this is only my problem, that I can and will solve. It will not help with all the broken links from data of retired or no-longer-reachable creators we have to count with.

I´ve no idea, how this could be handled. It´s so nice of you Sam, that you adress the problem and offer your help.  summerB7
I´d also love to help, but I even don´t know, which downloads or pictures are impacted.
For the moment I only have the idea, that we must try to collect such data 'afterwards' in the community and relink/rehost them. Like many of us do with 'lost' stuff from retired creators (at this point a big thanks to CherryBlossom for doing this with the beautyful work of Tarox, Simbella, WallSims, Sims in Paris, etc  inlove34 ).

Perhaps someone here has a better idea?
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:38 pm

I hope someone can help us all out..I don't know what to do..I think as soon as I get all my bookmarks put in their right places lol..I will start going around to sites and start downloading anything and everything I find that is box related..

If anyone has any other ideas that would help for sure..

I hope you get a good feedback on yours Carmen..that would be a mess trying to put them all somewhere else..

We all should have seen this coming since box has been a major problem for a while now..

Keep your fingers, toes, eyes, and anything else we can cross in hopes of someone coming up with ideas lol..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Oh, I think you mix something up.
There are no problems with Dropbox so far (at least I never had and haven´t heard/read bout it), you probably mean the download problems existing at box.net. That´s another site. ;)
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Oh, did I lol..I thought it was the same one that everyone has been having problems with..opps baghead ..well anyway there still is a problem for many like you that will have broken links and all that right..and we won't be able to download from them..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr
tilly
Forum Boss
Total Awards : 5

Posttilly on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Box is a problem. There has been a workaround published in one of the threads here. But if they are going to disable the links entirely, then lots of files will be lost. I think Carmen is right, we can't do anything until we know who is affected. I think many creators, including myself, have moved files over to simfileshare.
I'm happy to host creators lost files, like we already do, but not lots of individual files. So I guess it's a waiting game now.
Avalanche

PostAvalanche on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:10 pm

4Shared did quite the same thing a while ago and made direct links pay. I had to replace my pics with another link, which was really annoying!
We'll probably have to wait. So far I didn't receive a mail with an announcement!
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:42 pm

impatient Waiting games..omgosh runcircle

tilly, so is this the same one that everyone has been having problems with and having to do the workaround..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:27 am

The problem seems to be that DropBox will not update the old style links...

People will still be able to create "shared" links (I do it now) and those won't change.

The best thing I can think of is to make sure content gets backed up AND copied to another cloud service.

There are several sites that back up the cc files, themselves, but the image updates are another issue...

Carmen, is it possible for you to take the (unfortunately lengthy process) time to download/copy/whatever all your images to something else like Facebook, Tumblr, or Pinterest? Or, on the actual website you use? (I have no idea how much server space you have with your domain, so please excuse my possible ignorance.)

Thank you, Crissi, for my beautiful signature <3
Avalanche

PostAvalanche on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:28 am

The problem is, that many sites don't allow links directly from homepages and ask to use a pic host.
Does anyone use Mega? It seems to be the same owner as for megaupload a few years ago, which was closed due to copyright infringements. Hope the new one stays clean, because many creators lost their stuff, when the site was closed.
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 pm

szanne7000 wrote:People will still be able to create "shared" links (I do it now) and those won't change.
Exactly. That´s the info I got in the mail. But I understood, that all links I used so far will be broken cause the public area in which they are now provided, will be turned into a 'private' area. So all links can be shared afterwards again, but for this I´ll have to 'renew' or change them. I hope, I missunderstood this and therefore send that request to Dropbox. Maybe I will have no need for reworking. :girlie5:

szanne7000 wrote:Carmen, is it possible for you to take the (unfortunately lengthy process) time to download/copy/whatever all your images to something else like Facebook, Tumblr, or Pinterest? Or, on the actual website you use? (I have no idea how much server space you have with your domain, so please excuse my possible ignorance.)
You´re so kind ... thank you so much for your caring and your ideas and question. inlove34

A special download is not neccessary for me, cause I´ve a mirror of my Dropbox folders on my 'personal cloud' (my husband and I use an external harddisk for backup and archive purposes). And in case of need I could use a part of the PatchworkSims domain for providing my pictures. In former times I used imageshack and photobucket as image hoster, but last year spent a lot of time in transferring and relinking all my pictures to Dropbox.

And now it looks like I´ll have to overwork it all again ... but I wait with patience and hope dontworry ... and if I have to overwork it I´ll do it ... bit by bit. Drama :Autumn_17:

szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:53 am

Sigh... I just hope that DropBox decides to create a way (or just do it themselves) for older accounts to have their links converted to Shared Links.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Martina - a lot of people use Mega these days... Mega will remove links that are reported as "stolen items" and such...

Also, there is OneDrive. If you have an Office 365 subscription, you are authorized for 5 different family email accounts to use for devices (computers, phones, tablets, etc.). Each of those email accounts receives 1TB of cloud storage on OneDrive.

I've seen a lot of creators start to provide share links for that, as well.

Office 365 Home (which is what I have - my DropBox is a Pro account) is $99/year. As I actually use Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and on occasion, Access and Publisher (Gmail for me, not Outlook), the annual subscription has actual value for me. I would not recommend it unless you actually use those applications.

DropBox Pro is also $100/year for an annual subscription for 1TB. I ended up adding to my free account (where I already had 20something gb worth of free space due to referrals) as my son's ex-business needed something like it as a backup to GDrive (yes, I pay for that, too, LOL - but they are much less expensive).

I use all of these to back up personal and business and important documents, not just cc. For me, having belts and suspenders makes more sense.

I do get, however, that not everyone has the resources to have one, much less more, of these types of cloud-based subscriptions.

In that case, GDrive is the least expensive - I think I pay about $5/month for my and my son's GDrive storage (1tb plus). Google is not going anywhere, as far as I can tell from what I follow in the Tech Community (remember, me = geek, lol).

There is also Sims File Share. You need a set of invitation codes, but those are available out there. I set myself up with an account via one set, in case I ever get off the ground with recoloring or converting, or actual meshing.

There is also buying your own web domain. You can get one for a wide-ranging set of pricing from very inexpensive to very expensive. A lot of that depends on what you want (Carmen can probably tell us waaaay more about that!) with regard to the website (like how much space you need to host) (Also, Lisa could tell us a lot about this, as well).

Most of this is just me sitting here and stating a lot of information (if I've stated anything incorrectly, those with more information please correct me), as a means of distracting myself from after surgery pain, heheheheh.

I love you all and together, maybe we can all find solutions to this issue, along with any other techy type issues :D

caravirt

Postcaravirt on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Today was my 'D-day' ... checked my dropbox pictures in early evening and everything was ok, so I hoped they might be shown in future without having to make any changes. But when I looked two hours ago all images in my presentations had vanished. Ok, not really all ... only those I haven´t moved yet. smile201
Transferred a huge amount in the last weeks ... every night some parts ... bit by bit. So now only 8 house presentations and some other stuff at PatchworkSims has to be overworked.

I changed the links in all my topics here at CBS I was able to access (ok, I skipped the older update posts whistle ). But I couldn´t change the closed contest topics - sorry for this.
If I missed other picture links somewhere, please tell me.
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 pm

I had brain farted this topic..omgosh.. I was going to try and find as many Dropbox files as I could and forgot..I am so sorry everyone..I am glad Carmen you was able to get most of your stuff moved..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:20 am

Carmen - I'm glad you have most of it moved...

...we would not want anyone to miss out on all your great cc! <3

alouette
VIP Member

Postalouette on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:06 am

It's such a shame when websites make a decision that impacts so many users. I'm glad you were able to get most of your creations moved ahead of time, Carmen!

A L O U E T T E glasses5
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:05 am

There are several creators with links that are down right now...

...patience :) They are getting them moved (mostly to simsfileshare)

alouette
VIP Member

Postalouette on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 pm

I love SFS. Its so easy to use!

A L O U E T T E glasses5
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:32 am

Pssst.... Alouette

...I just uploaded my first lot, tou, and pictures to SFS :D

...It was really, really easy to do!

(Mikita's Penthouse - details on my portfolio - shameless plug heheheh)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum