Announcements
Welcome to Bloom @ CherryBlossom Sims! Please register for full access to our forum. We look forward to meeting you! You need 10 posts to access our Resident Artists download area. Our B.A.C Contest is now open!
Hello!
Staff Online
If you love our forum...
Latest topics
» Summer Siggies 2016 to grab
Today at 4:28 pm by browniecap

» Hello out there!
Today at 4:15 pm by tilly

» New member!
Today at 4:07 pm by tilly

» Hello New Here!!! Thank you for adding me :)
Today at 4:05 pm by tilly

» How did you find Bloom@CherryBlossom Sims or CherryBlossom Sims
Today at 4:04 pm by tilly

» Word association
Today at 3:23 pm by szanne7000

» Scarlet's Album
Today at 3:01 pm by songib67

» Family Time
Today at 2:58 pm by songib67

» Thumbs Up or Down?
Today at 2:55 pm by songib67

» What's It Like Where You Live?
Today at 2:31 pm by szanne7000

» Tahoe´s album Sims 2 "Updated 12/6 2017"
Today at 2:19 pm by jennylynn63

» Easter01's Father Michael's Saga
Today at 2:17 pm by szanne7000

» B.A.D June 2017 Questions and Comments
Today at 2:06 pm by szanne7000

» Decorator or player?
Today at 2:04 pm by jennylynn63

» B.A.C: The Espresso Room: Chat and Questions
Today at 2:03 pm by anidup

Whats new?

TS4: Farmhouse Chic by Chicklet

TS4: Painting Recolors by Crissi

TS4: Bedding Recolors by Anidup

TS4: Wallpapers by Anidup

TS4: Recolors of EA Maxis Poster

TS4: RC Lounge set by Oldbox

S4: Curtain RC by Oldbox

TS2-TS4: Suza loft plant by Anidup

TS4: Sweet Tea Porch Set by Chicklet

TS4: Sunday Morning by Tilly

TS4: Candice Olson Bette Lounge conversion by Anidup

TS4: Blue shores sitting room by Chicklet

TS4: Jopes Little Deco Sign by Anidup

TS4: Laundry Days by Chicklet

TS4: Clairmont kitchen Island by Chicklet

TS4: Freestyle Living Room by Chicklet

TS2: Violetta by Maryann

TS4: Wall Decals by Oldbox

TS4: Recolor by Chicklet

TS4: Landmark paintings by Tilly

>

{SOLVED}Need some advise on walls/wallpaper/paint/murals

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Broomhilda61
Awards : Bought us a coffee!

PostBroomhilda61 on Tue May 09, 2017 7:18 pm

I will be posting pictures up here for all of the above topics lol..

I was trying to make a wall..it had nooooo pictures impatient  but before I go past this Photoshop stage I want some advice on if this looks right or not..
And also while I am at it..when you are creating walls it seems like it's just about the same as making murals..
If I am doing this right..couldn't this picture go under wallpaper as well..not just walls..???
And couldn't I use the same template that I am using for Murals..
Because if I can then omgosh it would be so much easier

Any and all advice will be helpful please..thank you for your help happybounce

Also that tutorial was trying to put a border on it but it just didn't look right..so what size is a border supposed to be????  and how do you put a border on it.???

Last edited by Broomhilda61 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thank you so much Crissi, it's beautiful
~hugs and smiles my dear, dear BFF's~
I am so proud of all of you..
valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ~Community
anidup
Administrator

Postanidup on Wed May 10, 2017 2:24 am

Sam it had been ages since I last created for the sims 2, and I cannot remember all I had to do..... but one strong point of advice would be to make sure the texture (the pic you want to use) is seamless.
That means that when you put two pieces adjacent to one another, the patterns will align.
This is important for if they don't, then the wall will not look good in the game.
The best way to test whether your pic is seamless (in other words matches at the sides) is to open a new document in your editor, and to paste them next to one another on both sides. You will immediately see if they match.

If they don't, you can spend a lot of time altering the pattern so it matches, or just search for seamless patterns. There are quite a number of those available.

Don't give up hope, making new recolors for walls, will soon be as easy as pie for you too.
Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Wed May 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Thank you Anita..
I know what you mean there lol..after I created 2 of the Murals went in the game and they were not lining up..so had go out and redo them..then go back in and make sure they were lined up..

But my question is what is the difference between making a wall and creating wallpaper/paint/panels and all that..it seems to be about the same process..

And could I use the Mural template for these as well..they are the same width and height

I tried using wood last night but they are not matching up..so went with this pattern for like wallpaper..but just wanted to know what everyone thought of it before I continued on the HomeCrafter..and with the questions about..

And how do you add the trim at the top and bottom..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
anidup
Administrator

Postanidup on Wed May 10, 2017 1:31 pm

I usually left the trim on the mesh I used.
You need to understand that even making wallpaper, you are recoloring a mesh.
So when you have opened the texture image the game gives you, you can elect to keep the trim. Then you only need to paste your texture on the parts you want covered.

You are not actually making a wall. You are recoloring the wall mesh.
Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Wed May 10, 2017 1:45 pm

No I'm not doing recolors..I have tried that with a couch with TJ's help and it went bad to worse so I have given up on that..I am just making the walls no recolors..

Here is the link I was trying to go by..

How to make Walls, Floors, and Ground Cover (Beginning Creators Start Here!)

There is no mesh..I am using..either on this or the Murals I made..just took the picture and put it on Carmen's template and made them from there..so if I create not recolor there won't be a mesh..so I am thinking if I used Carmen's template to create walls wouldn't that do..???

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
tilly
Forum Boss
Total Awards : 5

Posttilly on Wed May 10, 2017 3:56 pm

I always looked for seamless textures that were square. I then resized to 256 x 256 and put one on top of the other (to make the full wall height) It worked perfectly. I only got into problems when I didn't do it this way, lol
Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Wed May 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Why on top of one another tilly??? Ok I know what you are talking about..that is what I did with that picture on my first post..

So that picture I have on the first post does that look ok to you..and I could use it for like wallpaper right..although I am not sure I could have a full room with that or not..I was just finding things that I thought would work but that seems a bit much for a full room..lol..and with the wood I couldn't get it to come together right..but just have to find the right wood..

Now how do you add the trim at the top and bottom..the tutorial when I followed that it just didn't look right..it was just to wide..??

I have 2 more Murals on the way lol..I know I will be getting one of them done today not sure of the second one lol..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
caravirt
Total Awards : 2

Postcaravirt on Wed May 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Broomhilda61 wrote:what is the difference between making a wall and creating wallpaper/paint/panels and all that...

There´s no difference, Sam. I use the 4-wall-photoshop-template I sent you for all kinds of walls I create
(exept, a design reaches over more than 4 walls - in this case I use my 5-walls-photoshop-template  giggle ).
You decide, what kind of wall it will be in the game and you decide, how many parts your wallpaper/tile/stone/panel wall will have. The texture you´ve chosen, fits on one wall. I´d declare it as a wallpaper, but it also could be a panel ... but once again: it´s all alone your choice, you are free to choose the kind of wall in HomeCrafter.

You can use just one part of the 4-wall-photoshop-template. Or two or three ... it only depends on what you will create and on how many parts the design/texture, you´ve chosen, looks good.

Perhaps you should start creating wallpapers with an easy texture. For example: one colour and some vertical stripes (or a centered little motive) on it. So you must not regard, if the texture is seamless and looks good in the game when you decorate a whole room with it. It will look good anyway. smile201

Create such a texture on one part of the 4-wall-photoshop-template.
Do the following steps as you do in creating one part of a mural (cut out the part, save as BMP, copy in the HomeCrafter walls folder, convert it in HomeCrafter into a wallpaper ...). And voilá: you´ll have your first wallpaper. lolly

Your 'border question' I´ll answer seperately in the next posting ...

one life is too short ... thank god we´ve more than one  summerB15
Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Wed May 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Thank you sooooo much Carmen..

that really helped out a lot..ok then I am on a roll haha..Wallpaper/Paint/Murals..and maybe some Panels..but have to figure out how do that that with the separation with the wood and fabric/picture..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Wed May 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Broomhilda61 wrote:And how do you add the trim at the top and bottom..
This also belongs to your photoshop work.

A border or trim (or both) have to be part of your wall design. I explain it in detail with my 'Floral Country Charm' set:

I created 4 different wallpapers (all one behind the other in my 4-wall-photoshop-template *g). One without any border or trim, the rest with a border and different trim sizes.

First I created the flower texture wall (used - like Tilly explained  inlove34 - a seamless 200x200 square texture, that I copied and put together, till the wall size was filled with it).

For the other wallpapers I copied the first wallpaper three times (so my 4-wall-photoshop-template was filled in all 4 parts).
Then I created the border and trims from a wood texture. Changed the wood colour a little bit before, so that it matches with the flower texture colour.
Cut out parts of the wood texture for the top border, copied and mirrored it vertical for the bottom trim. So I got the second wallpaper.

For the third wallpaper, I copied the top border and the bottom trim, added the wooden panel part (which I again cut out from my wooden texture) and copied the top border a second time, to get the middle border part.

The fourth wallpaper I created in the same way, only used a bigger wooden panel part.

I hope, this will help you a little bit for creating your own borders and trims. loveflower

Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Wed May 10, 2017 5:41 pm

That is very pretty Carmen
Ok so many questions so sorry..

What is the size width wise for the small trim..the other 2 you can have any size you want right..
And you just put the wood on top of the flowers right
Now with the 3rd one it looks like it is about half the size of the 4th one on the wood right..
And the 4th one looks like it is about half the size of the 768 am I right on that..
And then on the bottom trim you add wood to the top of the wood right..

Then I got to thinking with that 4th one you can cut out a square of that wood and then you have the print behind that..am I right on that..

So all these are layered on top of one another right..

Thank you so much Carmen for your help..I know you have so many projects going on yourself and to take the time out to help me..I am very grateful :girlie5:

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Wed May 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Broomhilda61 wrote:So all these are layered on top of one another right..
Yes, you have every piece of one wall (flower texture, border, trim, wood panel, etc) in a separate layer.

Broomhilda61 wrote:What is the size width wise for the small trim..
Oh Sam, now you got me. giggle I created this wall set some time ago and wasn´t that well experienced in wall creating like nowadays. So the sizes and positions of the borders and wooden pieces are not exactly measured. Specially the top border doesn´t look good in rooms with activated ceiling - the border vanishes under the ceiling (have to overwork it, but I allways forget bout it  baghead ).

But I looked into my newer wall sets: the size of the ceiling area is 38 pixel. Here´s a close view of my Summer Tree Panel set in Photoshop ... I have an additional guide line for the 'over the ceiling' area.

So you should create a so to say 'double border' ... parts, that are shown with and without activated ceiling. If you have not activated the ceiling in the game, you see my full wall ... if you have activated it, you don´t see the top 38 pixel part.

I´m sorry ... not sure, if I found the right words to explain it understandable.

Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart..you are a life saver and a good friend..

Now what is sad is usually I don't understand what anyone says to me but I understood you explanation but not the template this time around lol.. shame thlol

How do I create a template for the panels and trim..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Wed May 10, 2017 8:37 pm

I´m glad, that you understood, what I tried to explain. welcomeflag

No need to create a new template, Sam. Just copy the one, I sent you and add a guideline at the position you see in the screen (38 pixels from the top).
You can allways work with the template - it fit´s for every kind of wall.

I allways work with this template (better said: a copy for every wall/wall set *g) ... no matter, which kind of wall or wall set I create.

Perhaps another hint will help you getting along with it: When I create walls with many pieces, I work with groups in photoshop.
One group for every wall, where I put in the layers of every piece, that belongs to this wall (texture, border, anything else). Just look:

The wall 'panel4' has 4 pieces:
1. fabric texture with the flower (layer Stoff1),
2. lower part (layer GrdPan1b Kopie) and
3. upper part of the carved wood (layer GrdPan1a Kopie) and
4. ceiling border (layer CeilingBorder Kopie).

I faded out the other groups ( panel3, panel2, panel1), so you can concentrate on this one wall - they contain the corresponding wall pieces.
Oh ... and I changed the default measure unit for the rulers from centimeter in pixel ... perhaps this was irritating you in the first screen ... sorry.

Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Wed May 10, 2017 9:01 pm

runcircle  ok now I understand the template but I have no clue what you said in writing shame

Also for some reason I don't have the measurements on my template anymore..it was just that once when we were on Skype..

I'm confused..on how to measure the trim on the top and bottom..what is the width of the trim..??????

I don't know maybe I should just to this without the trim..just do wallpaper and murals..without trim..that paneling is way to complicated

I'm sorry Carmen crying

I have the template up now how do I copy it..so I can make this other one????

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Thu May 11, 2017 3:52 am

It is almost 3 am and I have been working on these trims all night..but every time I try to copy and paste the wallpaper with the trim..all I get is the trim..the flowers aren't copying??? what am I doing wrong??

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 am

Oh Sam consol1 ... I can understand, that you´d love to create something special and extraordinary. But you should give it more time, handle this a little bit more patient. When I started wall creating, I did it just the same ... tried to create really special and most complicated designs ... and very often failed and sometimes was totally desperated, cause almost anything didn´t work as I wanted. pull hair out

Please try to accept, that so many things in work come with the experience. No one can start from zero to 100 (sorry, don´t know the correct english expression for this slogan). You managed wall creating so good with your beautyful murals ... I´m sure, you will also create very beautyful wallpapers and other walls soon. But it will take some time ... and a lot of excercise and experience. budhug

To your questions:

I have the template up now how do I copy it..so I can make this other one????
You only have to use 'save as' and name it in another way. For example 'SamsFirstWallpaper' or something like that. victory  
btw: I allways create a separate folder for every wall set and name it alike. Into this I put everything, that belongs to the wall (set) ... textures, photoshop file, BMPs, ingame shots, presentation pictures, etc
So you have everything in view and save a lot of search time.

but every time I try to copy and paste the wallpaper with the trim..all I get is the trim..the flowers aren't copying??? what am I doing wrong??
You have to copy every piece (layer) of a wall.
Example: If your wall consists of a flower texture and a trim and you want to add an additional piece on the next wall, you first have to copy the layers of the flower texture and the trim pieces. Then you have a complete copy of the first wall and can add more (layer) pieces to this copy.

Also for some reason I don't have the measurements on my template anymore..
Maybe you deactivated it accidentally. Just look in this area for activating/deactivating:

Sorry for the german version, but I´m sure, you´ll find it (view menu, ruler)

The kind of measure unit you can change here:

Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Thu May 11, 2017 10:50 am

Good morning Carmen

I'm an idiot shame I thought you said to make a copy the template..but I wasn't able to do that baghead
Ok I think I understand what I need to be doing..I think, I hope laughing1 I don't have the Photoshop up yet this morning..have to do some chores around the house first..and wake up just got up an hour ago or so..will work on that here soon..

Thank you so much Carmen for your help and patience :Spring2

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Fri May 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Ok found the ruler thank you Carmen lol

Now about layers..what are the steps to layering??
What I mean by that is..
1-the back picture of flowers right
2-then what do I do to put the next layer on and so forth

Can't I just but the first one on then just put the next thing on top of that and so on instead of clicking on layers??

Sorry for being so stupid baghead

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Thu May 25, 2017 12:46 pm

I am still struggling with these panels..and finding the right wood for the trim to use on them..I really want to learn this..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Thu May 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Sorry Sam ... I missed, that you posted more questions shortly after your answer on May 12th. baghead

For finding good (free and seamless) wood textures, take a look at borysses work at DeviantArt. :girlie5:
For the trims you have to cut matching pieces out of a wooden texture. The width have to be 256 pixels (for one wall). The high depends on your taste. ;)

To the process:
1 - the wall without any border/trim
2 - copy this wall (= new layer) and add a trim (in a new layer)
3 - copy again, but this time both - wall and trim (= 2 new layers) and add a border (in a new layer)

... if you want to add more parts to a wall (for example an amulett or something else), go on like before: first make a copy of every layer, that is part of the wall and then add the next part in a new layer

Alternative you can work with only one wall. Adding the parts step by step and save the wall in between with every new part. But then you have more work when you want to change parts later.

Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Thu May 25, 2017 5:32 pm

It's ok Carmen..

I'm so confused Carmen..I'm so sorry..I don't understand what you mean by new layers..and how to do that..what I mean is..I don't know how to explain it..why do I have to click on new layer..why can't I just add the trim and all that..??????

Thank you for that link..will be looking over that here soon..

For the last couple of hours I have been searching all over the stupid internet looking for trim..it's stressing and depressing..and just about in tears..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Thu May 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Don´t worry Sam ... and don´t cry - just follow the link and enjoy the beautyful textures you can get there. budhug

I´m just taking the pictures of my small house. When I´ve posted them in the thread, I´ll take some time to explain the steps for adding trims better ... with some pictures and more details. I´m sure, you then will understand better what I mean. sweetheart

Broomhilda61

PostBroomhilda61 on Thu May 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Thank you Carmen..

I went through that link..I couldn't find a thing..I don't know what to look for or what to put in the search bar..this is my problem..I can do a million and one searches and not find a thing..

I had put in Wall Trim..and it came up with nothing..but pictures and a couple of links that was for mature use only omgosh..but nothing with trim..not one thing..and the wood trim and all that that was on the first page that you gave me was a bunch of wood in thin strips of different kinds how do I use that??????

I put in wood textures and got a few..but it's not what I am looking for..I need something modern..can't even do a stupid search on a site..

And half of what I am finding is disgusting pictures that has nothing to do with wood....I even put in White Modern Trim..omgosh..

This is why I don't do searches..either through google or on a site..

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Thu May 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Ok ... I understand ... puh, we´ll have to go through your search-and-find-problems more slowly and with more details. ;)

Let´s begin with the link:
It leeds you to a list with seamless texture packs that were made by borysses (a creator member of DeviantArt). In the list you find many variants of wooden textures, such as 'uncut wood' or 'wood board'. The 'stripes' show a summary of the textures inside a pack.
If you want to download a pack, you click on the 'stripe summary'. Then you get a bigger view of the 'stripes' and a detailed description (for example 10 seamless textures, 1024x1024 px, 96 dpi). On the right side you find a download button.
After downloading, you have a RAR or ZIP file with 10 (or less/more) big sized wooden texture pics.
With this textures you can work to create your trims (open it in photoshop and cut out pieces in the needed size).

Don´t waste your time to find a trim you have in mind. I also tried that when I started with wall creating and recoloring. I spent so much hours of unavailing searches. And more frustrating hours in trying to make the small number of nearly matching finds matching.  
You will hardly find a source somewhere that matches exactly with that, what you actually need or what you imagine. Better invest that time in a training to deal as good as possible with the materials you get more easyly - like those seamless wooden textures.  

But for having a quicker sense of achievement let me support you: sent me a PM with a description of the trim you have in mind and I´ll make it for you. So you have a pattern, with which you can make more trims by yourself. lolly

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum