Announcements
Welcome to Bloom @ CherryBlossom Sims! Please register for full access to our forum. We look forward to meeting you! You need 10 posts to access our Resident Artists download area. All new members please read our forum rules before posting. Thank you! Scandi Crush, our summer download theme is now open. Take a look in our artists category!
Hello!
Staff Online
If you love our forum...
Latest topics
Whats new?

Scandi Crush Summer Theme

There's much more, so take a look!

TS4 Scandi Crush Living room by Chicklet

TS3 Recolours by Poppy

TS4 Scandi crush gallery by Oldbox

TS2 Scandi crush Sim by Maryann

TS4 Scandi crush rugs by Oldbox

TS4 Scandi crush bedroom by Chicklet

TS4 Scandi crush hallway by Anidup

TS4 Scandi crush summer house by Tilly

TS4 Scandi crush Kirkenes by Oldbox

TS4 Scandi crush paintings by Crissi

TS4 Scandi crush design gallery by Tilly

Trouble downloading some items

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ranapeach

PostRanapeach on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:04 pm

I have a fairly new computer (less than a year old), running Windows 10. For the most part, I can download with no problems, but I get a lot of errors, especially on older or single items, which says the file I'm trying to download is in an unknown format or damaged. One crazy part about it is, for example, if there is a bedroom set on TSR and I only want one item in the set, if I choose to try to download only that one item, it will give me this message, but if I download the entire set it works and I can then choose to install only the one item.

I posed this question before on BPS and someone suggested that perhaps my downloads were being interrupted due to slow internet. I don't seem to have any problems with my internet, I even took my computer to another location to verify whether this was the problem or not and still got the same results, so I believe I can eliminate that as a reason.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, because there are so many things I would like to download and simply can't.

Thanks!
Chicklet45368
Resident Artist
Awards : Bought us a coffee!

PostChicklet45368 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi Rana, I'm not the tech guru, but I have had experience with that myself. It usually happens to me when the file is in 7zip format and not a .zip or .rar file.

My work around for this is I found an online program I upload the 7zip file to and it converts it to a zip format and then I can open it fine.

As far as TSR and single downloads, I've never had any issue with that before. Other than sometimes it's not in any type of format and is the actual . package file not in a folder.

When Suzanne gets on, I'm sure she'll have other suggestions too. I'm running Windows 7 still so it might be an issue with that.
Ranapeach

PostRanapeach on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Hmmm, food for thought, I haven't paid that much attention to the detail, but will keep that in mind. Thank you so much for the suggestion.
Chicklet45368
Resident Artist

PostChicklet45368 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:57 am

Oh one more thing, I've often had problems downloading from box.net or whatever it's called, those seem to the be the ones that I get that error message most from.

What I do in that case is, I click the file once acting like I'm going to open it, then I physically drag and drop the contents onto my desktop rather than trying to double click and let windows or winzip or winrar try and open it thru the program.
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 am

There is a post somewhere about Box.net..I will have to find it..brb

Good grief I know it's around here somewhere but can't find it..I will come across it and will put a link to it..sorry

Thank you so much Crissi, it's beautiful
~hugs and smiles my dear, dear BFF's~
I am so proud of all of you..
valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Rana :D

I've created a mini tutorial on downloading Sets and Individual Items from TSR here: How to Download Sets and Individual Items from TSR.

Please take look over the mini tutorial to see if that is the problem you are having.

If this is not your problem, are you able to tell us which file/files you've been having issues with? Specifically?

You can use a picture or just tell me the Artist and Set and/or Individual set item name and I will look into those to see if I have the same issue you are having.

Either way, please post back here to let us know what the status of this issue is :D

Thank you, Crissi, for my beautiful signature <3
tilly
Forum Boss
Total Awards : 5

Posttilly on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 pm

The box.net fix is in Game Help HERE
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:22 pm

thank you tilly..I just couldn't find it sorry

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr
Ranapeach

PostRanapeach on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:33 pm

This is a screenshot of what happens when I attempt to download.  As you can see, this was an item on this site.  As soon as I clicked the download button, this is what pops up.

I have no trouble knowing how to download, I just frequently get this error when attempting downloads. I feel like there must be some setting with my computer that needs to be changed or something along that line, but I have absolutely no idea what that might be. If the downloads are working for others, they should work for me, right? dontgetit
Ranapeach

PostRanapeach on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 pm

A little more information; I downloaded 7zip (thanks for the link), everything is still being unzipped by Winrar.  I googled how to set 7zip as my default, but I do not get the options to select to set it as default.  I will look further into that and attempt to get 7zip as my default and see if it makes a difference.

Okay, so I haven't been able to set 7zip as my default, but I have figured out how to switch to 7zip for extraction. I have tried downloading several files, which I previously got the error on, including the one above and I get the same error with 7zip.
Ranapeach

PostRanapeach on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:07 pm

This is a link to one item in particular that I have been trying to download from TSR

https://thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims4-walls/title/romance-wallpaper/id/1276626/
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:13 pm

I had to browse my desktop and got the 7zip file manager to safe file..I didn't completely download it..since I don't have my game up and running..

When I first clicked on the download button..it took me to open with Adobe Photoshop....so went browsing

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr
Chicklet45368
Resident Artist

PostChicklet45368 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:42 am

Ranapeach - I just downloaded it with no problem, using that link and the download button, it downloaded and it's a .package file. I didn't have to "open" it with anything

It's possible it might be something with Windows 10, but I can't help with that. Hopefully someone else also uses Windows 10 and can give you some guidance
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:43 am

It may be that TJ...I am still on Windows Vista

valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi Rana :D

Note - I added that information because I wasn't quite sure what the issue that you are having was - your additional posts here have helped clear up what is happening with you - thank you :D

Like TJ, I downloaded the package file from your link, too.

I also went to Anita's page and downloaded the Bone Inlay Dresser two different ways - (a) I directly clicked on the link and it opened a new tab and auto downloaded the file, and (b) I also right clicked/opened a new tab where it also auto downloaded.

I am using Google Chrome as my internet browser...

What browser are you using & has it been updated lately?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Addition to the my post (above the ~~~ line)...

It looks like the message you are getting is a WinRAR error message - at least according to the google search returns when I entered the error text you are getting...

WinRAR will through this particular error message if the archive file is corrupted, part of a multiple set or archived files (and you don't start extracting from the first in the series), or there is a virus or malware in the archive.

I'm confused.

Your post stated that you are getting this message when you are attempting to download the ts4 cc files themselves...

...and not when you are trying to extract them.

Is that correct?

Also, I noticed that both the files you were attempting to download are package files ( *.package)  NOT archived files ( *.zip   *.rar    *.7z).

I'd love to skype with you (especially now that I would be able to see your desktop via the Share Screen option in skype - thank you, TJ!)...

If you are able to do that, then I could see just what is happening when you receive the error message and we could (possibly/most likely) resolve the issue you are having :D

szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:45 am

Rana - I'm adding some links regarding solving this issue with file archives.

I don't know if you have been able to resolve your issue, so I figured I might as well include these links, just in case.

I would review them in order, as the last one is the page the third one links to :D

YouTube: the archive is either in unknown format or damaged (solved)

StackOverflow:Error: The archieve is either in unknown format or damaged (closed)

TechSupport:  [SOLVED] WinRAR The Archive Is Either In Unknown Format or Damaged!

Universal Extractor

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum