Announcements
Welcome to Bloom@CherryBlossom Sims We are looking for new artists and moderators to join our lovely staff team. If you are interested, send Tilly a PM! Our Dwelling Space contest is now open! Come and join in!   The January hunt starts on the 14th! Dont miss it!
Hello!
Staff Online
If you love our forum...
Whats new?
TS4: Boho rugs by TaTschu

TS4: Train station by Lovias

TS3: Deco walls by Poppy100

TS4: A touch of gold wallpaper by TaTschu

TS3: Windyridge house by Mireluk

TS4: Pink loft by Velvetkiss

TS4: Sovereign wallpaper by Tatschu

TS4: Linen wall set by Velvetkiss

TS4: Floral wallpaper by TaTschu

TS3: Paintings by Poppy100

TS3: Westover Avenue by Mireluk

TS3: Window and door deco by Poppy100

TS4: Jenba apartments by Lorry

TS4:Terri flower collection by Anidup

TS4: Fant house by Ivyrose

TS4: Prada lightbox by Ivyrose

TS3: Paintings by Poppy100

TS3: Kitchen tray by Poppy100

TS4: Carnegie wall set by Velvertkiss

Help with Mods Folder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

darksyngr

Postdarksyngr on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:58 pm

When the game first came out there was a limit on how many folders you could put in the mods folder so I never organized my mods. I heard a rumor that they fixed this and now you can have many more.

I'm a little unsure how I should best organize my cc. Is there still a cap on how many folders and if so what is the cap? Do the folders have to be named something in particular or can you title them however you'd like?

My current folders I'm putting everything into are:
Female Clothes
Male Clothes
Child and Toddler Clothes
Head Accessories
Body Accessories
Tattoos
Appearance Details
Hair
Shoes
Lights
Decor
Objects
Build
Lorry
Resident Artist

PostLorry on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Melisa I have all my folders named (as you have shown here) within my main Mods folder, it makes it easier to pull anything I don't want in game, out.
You can name your folders whatever you you like, your computer will only recognise what's within.
Not sure if you can go deeper than 1 folder though.

I loved Sims 3, you could have a depth of 5 folders!

szanne7000
Tech Guru
Awards : Bought us a coffee!

Postszanne7000 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:47 pm

Melisa and Lorry, you can go 5 levels deep, including your Mods Folder...

So, your Mods folder and 4 additional subfolders for a total of 5 levels' worth of folders.

It could look something like this (where the word Packages is now called Mods):

Here is the link to the TS4 Sims Wiki Page on Organizing Custom Content in TS4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basically, this is what your Mods Folders could look like (I'm using mine as an example):

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\TmexTerrainPack.package  -----*.package files directly in the Mods Folder

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Scripts  -----Subfolder (level 1, or one level down) -----*.package files directly in the Scripts subfolder

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Overrides  -----Subfolder (level 1, or one level down) -----*.package files directly in the Overrides subfolder

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\CASccforZeke  -----Subfolder (level 1, or one level down) -----*.package files directly in the CASfccforZeke subfolder

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't go more than one subfolder layer, myself; however, you could do deeper layers of subfolders like this, for example:

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Merged Files  -----Subfolder (level 1, or one level down)

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Merged Files\Build  -----Subfolder (level 2, or two levels down)

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Merged Files\Build\Windows&DoorSets  -----Subfolder (level 3, or three levels down)

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Merged Files\Build\Windows&DoorSets\Mutske  -----Subfolder (level 4, or four levels down)

D:\Documents-Suzanne\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Merged Files\Build\Windows&DoorSets\Mutske\*.package  -----*.package files directly in the Mutske subfolder

Important Note: Each layer of subfolders may have as many *.package files AND subfolders in it except for the last subfolder, which can only have *.package files in it.

Please let me know if I need to clarify this any further :D

Thank you, Crissi, for my beautiful signature <3
Lorry
Resident Artist

PostLorry on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 am

This is awesome, I have no idea we could do this.........does it make loading time quicker?
I need to re organise then!

Thank you so much Suzanne, I am so happy bighugs2

szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:56 am

I don't know if it will speed up loading time, Lorry...

...remember, the game does not care how BIG a file is...

...it cares HOW MANY files you have!

As I said, I only go one level deep in my Mods folder. I have never felt the need to organize my cc any further than I already do.

There are many people, though, that like to organize very specifically (as per the examples above).

If you decide to use multiple levels of subfolders, would you mind testing out loading time and any potential game lag for us?

Determine your current load time the way your files are currently organized...

...then, reorganize and determine the new load time.

...also, note if there is any lag time during game play.

That will give all of us more information! <3

darksyngr

Postdarksyngr on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:00 am

OMG, Suzanne, if I could give you 10 thumbs up I would. This will make organizing my items so much easier.

I am sparing on my merges because I don't know what packages I'll want to hold onto in 1 year. Items (usually from certain artists) I have loved since the game came out I am in the process of merging. That will probably cut my items in half alone.

EDIT: Also, remembered people saying scripts can only have one stepdown from mods folder (this now makes more sense). So you can create a folder in mods for scripts but you can't do SIMS4 -> MODS -> SCRIPTS -> "Bad_ 2 Many Folders"
Lorry
Resident Artist

PostLorry on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:37 pm

You know I thought about re organising my Mods folder, but my game loads fast and I have no issues, so I will just leave it be.
It is good to have this information though....... :thy: Tech Guru ymd

anidup
Administrator

Postanidup on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:02 am

Lorry I have some of my files going up to the fourth level and I don't experience a long loading time as a result of that.

I must admit though, that I have started to merge some of the files, like per set, and by doing that I was able to do away with some of the extra folders. I still have to go in game and will then them check on the time it is going to take to load the game.

My main reason for doing that was to allow to me add a little more cc to my game. There are so many lovely goodies out there. So my mods folder is growing every day!

http://www.anissims4creations.com/
For exclusive content. 
Lorry
Resident Artist

PostLorry on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:35 am

That's good to know Anita.....my load time is still under 5 minutes, so I guess I really don't have an issue.....yet!

szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:37 am

You are so welcome, Melisa!

I learn new things every day from all of you, too <3

I was able to skype and google hangout with TJ today and she taught me something I never knew about skype...

Screen Sharing!

It was great because we each shared our desktops with each other and it let both of see things going on with each other's computer systems... (note: she doesn't have a webcam on her system, so skype was audio only - but with the inclusion of screen sharing, she didn't need a webcam for me to see her desktop and vice versa!).

It was really cool!!!

It means I can show all of you stuff when we skype that I do AND I can see what is happening on your systems, too!

I was able to show her what my game looks like with all the things I have going on to make my world look the way it does :D

OOOoooo, I can't wait to see your games!!! (and mods folders, etc. :D )

darksyngr

Postdarksyngr on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:54 pm

That is awesome :) I am likely going to be trying to fix my mods this weekend when I have time. I really want to try and get my game back up in time for the next BAD :)
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Oh, I hope so, too, Melisa!

BADs are a whole lot of fun!

TaTschu
Resident Artist

PostTaTschu on Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:01 am

Hi Dears!

Does it means, that I can have a mod folder - for example - D:\Documents-Tanja\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\build ( main folder ) and in the build folder I can have 4/5? sub folders maybe like Walls, Floors, roofs, Doors? Is this correct?

I didnt know that before, and if its so, I`m a very happy sim player :D Because I LOVE to looking the www for new CC. ;)

I just ask, because my english is not perfect, and I would understand it correctly :)

Thank you so much Crissi for the lovely Siggi!
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:09 am

Hi TaTschu - yes - that is exactly what it means :D

...The Sims 4\Mods\build\walls
...The Sims 4\Mods\build\floors
...The Sims 4\Mods\build\roofs
...The Sims 4\Mods\build\doors

etc. :D

TaTschu
Resident Artist

PostTaTschu on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:30 am

Thank you szanne! :D

Okay, I know what I have to do this weekend! It seems that my next follower-gift have to wait...lol

Edit:
Another question: I`m sitting here at my Laptop and look at all my CC....and I am totally overwhelmed...lol. I have no idea how I should sort my CC. Should I sort by creator, by objects ( like sofas, beds, plants etc.), by room....AHHH. I think I would like to sort by creator, but I have so many CC from so many different creators. I`m a bit scared to get confused/mixed up, when I put decor, walls/floors, sofas etc. by one creator in 1 folder and cant find what I`m searching for :-/ rofl ( I hope you understand what I trying to say :D )

Any suggestions? :)

hugs and greets,
Tanja
Chicklet45368
Resident Artist

PostChicklet45368 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Tanja!

I just went thru this! Took me almost 2 weeks to finally get it all organized. What I did was to pull my entire Mods folder out and put it on my desktop. I put all the stuff from each creator into their own folders rather than by object type.

Because most creators put the set name into the name of each object it's sorted that way alphabetically in the folder and it's pretty easy to find what I'm looking for that way. All my CAS stuff is just dumped into one giant folder I called HAIR, SHOES, MAKE-UP, CLOTHES (because I don't play very often, I often pull this folder out of my game to lesson the objects so my game loads faster).

I created another folder on my desktop called "MODS CHECKED". I would work on just one creator's folder at a time, so I wasn't overwhelmed and to make it easy to come back to and not forget where I was at in the sorting process.

Once I had deleted everything I wanted from that creator's folder, I'd move it to the "MODS CHECKED" folder and would move on to the next creator folder and do the same thing. It was easy to pick back up and continue the next day this way, since I knew what folders I had already gone thru.

Hope that helps!
TaTschu
Resident Artist

PostTaTschu on Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Thank you so much, TJ!
That helps a lot ty

szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:25 am

:D Tanja - I sort several different ways... like TJ's method, most of my cc is sorted by creator.

I also have folders for build projects (contests and challenges) and I also have several folders by type, like Plants, Curtains, Bedding, etc.

I think the best way to organize is by how you use the cc you have...

I'm always changing around how I do it - right now, project folders are working; but, I know I have a ton of duplicates due to the need for meshes...

I'm working to reduce all of that and I know I'm going to have to do a complete overhaul of my cc as TJ has done...

For now, I have several ts4 game loads happening and I just rename them as I switch between them.

There are also several folders of cc I use all the time - mainly script mods, overrides, default replacements for clouds, moon, terrain, rocks, and roads, and omsp's...

I do pull out and put in folders - however, these days, I just create a new ts4 game, lol.

~~~~~~~~
TL:DR How I organize varies depending on what I'm doing. I need to go through it all and haven't found the time, yet :D

TaTschu
Resident Artist

PostTaTschu on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:45 am

I downloaded this Rename-thing, but I cant figure out how it works :-/
Is there a posting, which shows how to do/rename files? dontgetit

szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi Tanja - here is the link in Tech Edge: Bulk Rename Utilitiy

It explains how to use the application :D

Let me know (there) if you have any further comments or questions <3

TaTschu
Resident Artist

PostTaTschu on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:47 am

Thank you, Suzanne!

I will take a look, when I feel a bit better bighugs

szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:57 am

I hope you feel better very, very soon, Tanja summerB7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum