Announcements
Welcome to Bloom@CherryBlossom Sims We are looking for new artists and moderators to join our lovely staff team. If you are interested, send Tilly a PM! Our Dwelling Space contest winners are announced. Congratulations to you all!
Hello!
Staff Online
If you love our forum...
Latest topics
Whats new?

TS4: Punk rock princess walls by Velvetkiss

TS4: Opulence bed by Freeasabird

TS4: Kitchen herb paintings by Freeasabird

TS4: Art deco shelves by Freeasabird

TS4: Designer perfumes by Freeasabird

TS4: Designer make up palettes by Freeasabird

TS4: Champagne bucket by Freeasabird

TS4: Rose vase by Freeasabird

TS4: Shaped Duet by Szanne7000

TS4: Greenhills House by Mireluk

TS4: Paris fleur art prints by Velvetkiss

TS4: Rock and roller art prints by Velvetkiss

TS4: Dreamscape wall stickers by Velvetkiss

TS3: A gift for Anita by Poppy100

TS4: Brick Walls by TatSchu

TS4: Rustic country walls by Tilly

TS3: Room set by Poppy100

TS4: White swan paintings by Tilly

TS3: 125 Wood St by Mireluk

TS3: Gift for Chicklet by Poppy100

TS4: Heritage foundations by Tilly

TS4: Chancery paving by Tilly

TS4: Boho rugs by TaTschu

TS4: Train station by Lovias

TS3: Deco walls by Poppy100

Malware/adware - Do I need it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

tilly
Forum Boss
Total Awards : 5
Awards : Bought us a coffee!

Posttilly on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Just a quick question:
My shiny new PC had an issue with malware (probably from Adfly)
I removed it, I think, with Malwarebytes and adwcleaner. I am now running a trial version of Malwarebytes. It wont let me access adfly at all. Why oh why do creators run their creations through Adfly! dontgetit
I am thinking of buying malwarebytes, but do I really need it? And is this a good one or is something similar a better idea?
I've bought lots of rubbish in the past, and didn't really need it, so that's why I'm asking!
:Spring3
darksyngr

Postdarksyngr on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:50 pm

I swear by Malwarebytes. I bought it and works amazing for me. It catches the vast majority of the bad stuff. I also have AVG to cover anything MalwareBytes misses, but about to switch it out since they are beginning to act like the adware they are supposed to protect me against.

If you like, when I find my replacement I'll share who here. My roommate is going to help me with that (he's very tech literate) later today.
tilly
Forum Boss

Posttilly on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Thank you Melisa, that is good to know :girlie5:
Avalanche

PostAvalanche on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:37 pm

I recommend JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), also by Malwarebytes. Better close all other programs, but it's fast and thorough.
tilly
Forum Boss

Posttilly on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Thank you Martina :girlie5:
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:34 pm

I may learn something from all this lol..keep the information coming lol

Thank you so much Crissi, it's beautiful
~hugs and smiles my dear, dear BFF's~
I am so proud of all of you..
valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr

Friends call me Sam(F) or Broomy or Broomhilda
Ginnie

PostGinnie on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:54 pm

I use Webroot Spysweeper every day and Malwarebytes (free) every so often. Our pc guy swears by Malwarebytes, but I've used Webroot and am very comfortable with it.

Huggles all.

Tilly, you getting rain and flooding? We in Arizona are having our monsoon with both!

Ginnie
darksyngr

Postdarksyngr on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Spoke to my roommate. He advises Avira (LINK) and suggests purchase when you (I) can. It cost 51.00 for 1 year. He says when tested Avira succeeded in catching everything 99% of the time. Reason he suggests purchase is without it the program will not scan the website for malicious content. He says free will still catch it and quarantine but it will only scan your PC without purchase.  He also says even free it is still the best out there.

In Addition: When I was trying to look into it I could not access the website. Turns out some protection software will see it as a conflict of interest and block you from accessing the site, so if you want to look at the site you may have to turn off your current protection software. Lol, I learned this because I could access the site on my laptop and phone (no AVG-only MalwareBytes). On my PC once I turned off AVG I could access it.
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:53 am

Oh, yes, Lisa - you do need antivirus and antimalware software!!!

I use ESET for my antivirus. It is a paid version (about $37 per year for two licenses).

I also bought and paid for Malwarebytes Premium when you could purchase the app without a subscription. A license for home use runs about $40 per year these days.

Regardless of what applications you are using, you should be using both types - antivirus and antimalware.

I also use Adblocker as a Chrome add-in extension. Sometimes, I need to turn it off in order to access sights that will block you from seeing their site if using it; however, that is when it is really important to protect yourself from viruses and malware.

This is true regardless of what you are doing on the internet - whether it is searching for and downloading custom content, checking your email, reading news, looking for pictures -- basically anything you do on the internet.

It is also important to keep your Operating System current with updates, as well as your browser and your security applications.

Doing all of these things protect your system, and your personal identification information, from harm.

...it is important to do all of them, though - not just some of them.

Obviously, the final piece of your security is to not put everything about you and/or your family out on the internet.

The internet can be a wonderful place to explore; but, just as you would protect yourself as you go about your daily life, you need to be aware and wary of those that would hurt you.

Thank you, Crissi, for my beautiful signature <3
Ranapeach

PostRanapeach on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks for asking this question Tilly, it's something I have often wondered about myself, and thanks to everyone for the great information. Who knows, maybe changing which product I use will clear up my download abilities.

Tee3cubed

PostTee3cubed on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:38 pm

My computer guru swears by Malwarebytes. I have been using it for over a year now and it seems to grab everything before I am even aware there is a problem. As I said before, I just had him build me a new PC from the tower up. It has all the bells and whistles gamers need and want. The first thing he installed was Malwarebytes - because he knows I download things from sites I don't know well. Well worth my money!
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 am

Agreed, Joan...

...I also have a very nice antivirus application - between that and Malwarebytes, I've not had an issue :D

...and, it is so worth the dollars because of the investment in our systems <3

Tee3cubed

PostTee3cubed on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:30 pm

May I ask which antivirus you use? My guru says Malwarebytes does the job of both and I don't need another. But I still feel a bit nervous without it. I have just invested a lot of money (at least a lot to me!) in my new system. I don't want one bad piece of advice to come back and bite me in the butt!
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:09 am

I use ESET NOD32 (paid) it is about $40/year for 1 license.

I license two computers, so it's about $60/year.

ESET

There are other antivirus programs available, but I've used this without issue for about 7 years now.

simmer2222

Postsimmer2222 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:47 pm

I use Avira, and it seems to keep my computer clean. I run MWB scans on occasion, and it hasn't found any leftover grunge, so I guess Avira is working alright.

For other protection, I got so tired of potentially malware-filled ads that I installed adblockers on all my browsers, and it's doing a good job so far. I've goten a few other add-ons as well, to take care of popups/popovers/popunders, plus a de-adfly addon for Firefox, and a few other useful addons, and wherever possible I've set the browser security settings to high.

I also make sure to keep a recent backup so in case I'm unlucky (haven't been since my first laptop died too suddenly for me to take a backup) I have my files available.

I haven't had any troubles with malware so far, so it sems what I'm doing is working.
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:25 am

Excellent, Simmer :D

It is sooooo important to protect one's time, energy, and investment <3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum