Announcements
Welcome to Bloom @ CherryBlossom Sims! Please register for full access to our forum. We look forward to meeting you! You need 10 posts to access our Resident Artists download area. All new members please read our forum rules before posting. Thank you! Scandi Crush, our summer download theme is now open. Take a look in our artists category!
Hello!
Staff Online
If you love our forum...
Latest topics
» Ciao a tutti
Today at 6:16 pm by patty3060

» WCIF mirrored furniture???
Today at 6:03 pm by bambii26

» Hello!
Today at 5:39 pm by bambii26

» IvyRose' sneak peak 'updated 13 August'
Today at 4:53 pm by IvyRose

» Look some more of Ivy's favourite things
Today at 4:41 pm by IvyRose

» Hello there!
Today at 4:29 pm by Nickilyn

» TS4 Cushions From Ivy Rose's Doty Entry
Today at 4:29 pm by IvyRose

» From Lorry's Portfolio
Today at 2:28 pm by sunkal

» For All The CC Downaholics
Today at 1:56 pm by anidup

» Jamie´s Lego built
Today at 1:53 pm by anidup

» Pets Is Coming!!!! Yup
Today at 1:50 pm by anidup

» New Stuff Pack Sims 4
Today at 1:42 pm by anidup

» Tillys fur babies
Today at 12:59 pm by poppy100

» The Winner of Pampering Anita
Today at 12:55 pm by Samantha61

» Word association
Today at 12:40 pm by Lorry

Whats new?

Scandi Crush Summer Theme

There's much more, so take a look!

TS4 Scandi Crush Living room by Chicklet

TS3 Recolours by Poppy

TS4 Scandi crush gallery by Oldbox

TS2 Scandi crush Sim by Maryann

TS4 Scandi crush rugs by Oldbox

TS4 Scandi crush bedroom by Chicklet

TS4 Scandi crush hallway by Anidup

TS4 Scandi crush summer house by Tilly

TS4 Scandi crush Kirkenes by Oldbox

TS4 Scandi crush paintings by Crissi

TS4 Scandi crush design gallery by Tilly

Cloud Storage Options - Back Up Files/Folders and/or Share Files

View previous topic View next topic Go down

szanne7000
Tech Guru
Awards : Bought us a coffee!

Postszanne7000 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:58 am

As promised, here are two articles that include information (and the necessary links) on multiple cloud storage services - many of them totally free.

The Balance

Network World

The first article discusses free storage services and the second discusses why you might want to pick them.

They are all (well, those I've used; I've not used everything listed in the articles) really easy to sign up for and to use :D

~~~~~~~
For me, I use OneDrive (through Microsoft, 5gb), Google Drive (15gb), Dropbox (2gb), Box (10gb), MEGA (50gb), Yandisk (10gb), Amazon (through Prime, 5gb), MediaFire (10gb), and SimsFileShare (this is NOT a storage site, it is only to use for sharing sims files only).

I get a terabyte (x5 users EACH, so a total of 5tb) for having an annual subscription to Microsoft Home (application suite with Word, Excell, Access, PowerPoint, etc.) for approximately $100/year. As I use the Microsoft applications, this was a no brainer for me.

I also pay for extra storage for my free Google Drive account at $1.99 per month for an extra 100gb of storage.

The other one I have that I use a lot is Dropbox. I pay another $99/year for an extra Terabyte, but the free account comes with 2gb's of free space which you can then increase up to about 18gb's free storage by having friends use your invitation to Dropbox. I was able to do this long before I decided I needed more space.

The others are mostly so I can do bulk downloading from other people as well as a place to host anything I want to make available...

...but they, too, have free amounts of storage for users. Of course, they all hope you end up getting paid accounts for more storage, but they do not insist on it.

~~~~~~~
Regarding uploading 15gb's worth of files (Carmen's original question on this thread: Merging, you would most likely be doing that by uploading files and folders with files - probably none that are actually 15gb in size. So, completely doable.

As Google Drive comes with 15gb and MEGA starts with 50gb, so I suggest you try one of those first. You should be easily able to upload all your cc backup with that one account.

NOTE: While another option would be to simply purchase a thumb drive with more storage than you need, these are not for long term storage purposes nor should they be used that way. You stand a really good chance of losing your data.

Thumb drives are a great way to move files from one system to another or if you would like to travel with your cc or game files... like for those times you are not bringing your system with you when you visit friends/family who are willing to let you use their systems, lol :D

~~~~~~~
The reason I personally use so many different accounts is that while each allows me to store files (in varying amounts), they also have some different pros - like being able to sync with your computer system for continual backup purposes or being able to specifically share files/folders with specific people via their email addresses.

I hope this gives you a nice selection of free storage services and would love to hear back on which (if any) you decide to go with and how your experience with that might be :D

Please let me know if any further information or clarification is desired <3

Thank you, Crissi, for my beautiful signature <3
Chicklet45368
Resident Artist

PostChicklet45368 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Wow Suzanne! Great and informative information and tips, and I loved how you explained how and why you use certain things.

I was thinking about uploading mine to my Google Drive but wasn't sure how much you could store, so that's great! I have an external HD with plenty of space that's new, just a year old. But, my last one died unexpectedly and I lost everything on it, which was about 60K tracks of music! So, I wanted something else for back up, just in case,.
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:28 am

You are very welcome, TJ!

I worry about losing data, myself...

...so, voila! Cloud Storage solutions, lol giggle

I tend to stick with companies that look to be around for a loooooong time... so, Google, Microsoft, Amazon... also I believe DropBox will continue.

We'll all have to wait and see & that is another reason to duplicate back ups on different sites :D

Thank you, Crissi, for my beautiful signature <3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum