Announcements
Welcome to Bloom@CherryBlossom Sims Our Christmas Advent opens shortly, with lots of gorgeous gifts for our members! The Staff and Artists at Bloom wish you all a very happy holiday season
Hello!
Staff Online
If you love our forum...
Latest topics
» The Mix: A chat thread for all members
Today at 5:16 am by Samantha61

» Chicklet's Album - Testing Reshade
Today at 5:14 am by Samantha61

» Sims 4 Studio UPDATED
Today at 5:01 am by Chicklet45368

» NEW UPDATE + MODS = ISSUES???
Today at 2:00 am by royalpain

» Sims 4 Stair Garland - SOLVED
Yesterday at 11:24 pm by Lorry

» Sims Marktplatz Updates 2017
Yesterday at 8:39 pm by Samantha61

» Tahoe´s new album Sims 2 "Updated 10/12 2017"
Yesterday at 8:02 pm by Tahoe

» PatchworkSims2 Updates 2017
Yesterday at 6:24 pm by Samantha61

» Can someone make something like this???
Yesterday at 5:58 pm by anidup

» Kitchen Sign
Yesterday at 5:56 pm by anidup

» Dwelling Space: Coming Soon!
Yesterday at 5:30 pm by Samantha61

» 2017 Advent Calendars
Yesterday at 5:29 pm by anidup

» TS4 Animals Galore Made from Cats & Dogs
Yesterday at 5:14 pm by anidup

» Sims Dreams Updates 2017
Yesterday at 5:11 pm by anidup

» Hello!
Yesterday at 5:02 pm by anidup

Whats new?

TS4: Toddler set by TaTschu

TS4: Audrey by Lorry

TS4: House by Lovias

TS4: Cat by Lovias

TS4: Dog by Lovias

TS2: Painting RC's by Crissi

TS4: Black Velvet Bedroom by Chicklet45368

TS4: Armchair RC's by TaTschu

TS4: London Life by Tilly

TS4: Rug RC's by TaTschu

TS4: Wisteria RC's by Anidup

TS4: Wallpaper by TatSchu

TS4: Dining Set by Chicklet

TS4: House by Lorry

TS4: Wall art by Anidup

TS3: SIP Cabinets by Poppy

TS4: Living room by Chicklet

TS4: House by Lorry

TS4: Autumn crime house by Lovias

TS4: Autumn set by Anidup

TS3: Autumn set by Poppy

TS4: Floral pink wallpaper by TaTschu

TS2: Sam's peaceful place by Chicklet

TS4: Gold paintings by TaTschu

Autumn Bliss Downloads

TS4: Terracotta floors by Tilly

TS3: Autumn Spirit by Poppy100

TS4: Autumn wall quilts by Anidup

TS4: Barnham Broom by Tilly

TS4: Autumn leaves by Anidup

TS4: Canvas pictures by TaTschu

TS3: Fall signs by Poppy100

TS3: Fall Teaset by Poppy100

TS4: Fall House by Lorry

TS4: Autumn paintings by Chicklet

TS4: Autumn Entry by Chicklet

TS4: New Lot by Lorry

TS4 Floors by TaTschu

TS4: Unique wood walls by TaTschu

TS4: Ontario by Lovias

TS4: Wood Floor Tiles by Tilly

TS4: Stone Floors by Tilly

TS4: Paving Stone Floors by Tilly

Short Story: A Painter's Vision

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Easter01
Total Awards : 0

PostEaster01 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 pm

A Painter's Vision
by Joanne Easter
(c) 2008

The man driving the dusty Ford Explorer slowed his vehicle and eased to a halt beside an old wooden building in the empty town, long weathered to silver gray under the desert sun. He let the engine idle for a moment, his foot on the brake, and then shifted into park and turned the ignition off. He looked over at his eighteen year-old son, who was still steaming about being coerced along on this trip to the middle of nowhere.

"What do you see, Sean?" Brian Taylor asked his son.

"I see a bunch of old buildings that should have been burned down a hundred years ago. This place is dead, there's nothing here." Sean replied with icy disdain. Then he relented, and sighed. "Look, Dad, I know what you're trying to do. You brought me out here for a 'parental talk' about college. That's not the life I want. I'm not going to the Art Institute. I have my own plans, which DO NOT include burying myself in a bunch of books and crap." Sean opened the door to the Explorer and stepped out into the dust. He jammed his hands into the pockets of his jeans and strolled away, stopping to kick an old oil can out of the road.

Brian shook his head and looked up into the cloudless blue sky. His son had such a gift for art, yet was just going to cast it aside like a joke. He looked at the old weathered buildings, lining the single street on both sides, few over two stories in height. The whole town was a relic from the mining era, abandoned when the veins of lead ran out and people moved away to scratch out a living somewhere else. Sean was so wrong about this place. The town wasn't empty, wasn't dead. It was filled with history and alive with memories.

"Do you think he'll be able to see it, Brian?" came a familiar voice from a patch of shade beneath the balcony of the nearest building.

"I don't know, he's pretty stubborn," Brian said, stepping out of the vehicle and walking over to the porch. He climbed the few steps to join the old man sitting on a bench, leaning against the wall of the building.

The old man chuckled. "Comes by it honestly, doesn't he?" His wrinkled face was creased with a big grin. He looked about the same as when Brian had last seen him, years ago, as ageless as the hills that rose in the distance behind the town. His hands and clothing were spotted with dabs and blotches of color.

"So, Gramps, you still keeping yourself busy?" Brian asked, sitting down on the bench beside him. He pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket and dabbed at the sweat on his forehead. "And how is your lady? Finished with her yet?"

"Oh, she's just grand, Sonny, just grand," the old man beamed. "Come on upstairs and see for yourself."

Brian followed his grandfather through the open doorway, pushing at the sagging door to make just a bit more room. The single remaining hinge creaked loudly and then snapped, dropping the door onto the floor. A cloud of dust billowed out. The old wooden stairs protested loudly as they walked carefully up to the second floor of what was once a boarding house. At the first door on the left at the top of the stairs, the old man fished an ancient iron key out of his pocket and opened the door. They walked inside.

The walls were covered with paintings, most in oil, some in watercolor, all of scenes from the town and the surrounding countryside during the time when it was a prosperous inhabited place. There were landscapes in glowing colors, the desert painted by the setting sun, the hills and buttes starkly silhouetted. There were pictures of life on the street, of men in Stetson hats holding the reins of horses, at work and at play, of ladies in carriages, of laughing children with golden curls. There were portraits of stern-looking business men in bowler hats, old women in high collars with their hair pulled back, encircled by children. Paintings in various stages of completion leaned against the walls. On one side of the room were shelves covered with brushes and cans of paint and stacks of canvas. In the center of the room, placed just so to catch the morning light, was an easel on which rested a half-completed portrait.

"There she is," the old man said, touching the edge of the canvas lovingly, like a caress. Brian walked around and inspected the painting. It showed an elegant lady with laughing green eyes and chestnut brown hair spilling down onto her shoulders, dressed in a white blouse with puffed sleeves and a ribbon around her neck. Her lips were slightly parted as though she was just about to smile, or to speak, and Brian caught himself unconsciously smiling back at her. It captured the soul of the woman far better than any photograph.

It would be a master work when completed, but there was yet an empty space where her hands should be, folded in her lap.

"Still not finished, I see," Brian said.

"I just can't get the hands right," the old man said. "Your grandmother's hands were so delicate..." He sighed, and then picked up a brush and began to sketch in an outline of the hands, working with such concentration that he seemed to forget that Brian was at his side.

Brian watched him for a moment and then stepped over to the dirty window and looked out on the street.
On the opposite side, about six buildings down, he saw Sean exiting a one-story building - the sheriff's office, he recalled - and then go next door to the hotel, the tallest building in town at three stories high.

He felt the old man's presence at his side, looking out the window with him. He turned and saw that he was wiping a brush with a cloth, the smell of paint thinner strong in the enclosed space. Brian looked back at the painting, and saw that his grandfather had covered over his most recent effort with a new layer of white paint, ready to start again sometime soon.

"How long do you think it'll take before he sees it?" Brian asked the old man.

"Hard to say. Remind you of anyone you know?"

"I remember," Brian said quietly, watching his son squeeze through the boards that were nailed across the doors of the General Store.

Brian looked at Ben, "You know, he has more talent than I did at his age. Hell, he has more talent than I ever dreamed of having, he has the gift..." His voice tapered off as he thought about the years he struggled just to achieve a small success. His art gallery was finally doing well. Not as well as he had hoped, but he was able to make a living doing what he enjoyed most in life, painting western landscapes.

"Look, he's going into the old saloon," Ben said, bringing Brian's thoughts back as he saw the broken saloon door swing slightly.

Both men waited for Sean to come back out, each lost in their own thoughts.

Suddenly Sean burst out of the saloon and ran toward the Explorer. He yanked open the rear door of the vehicle and pulled out his paints and easel.

"He found it! He found it!" Brian said excitedly.

"It didn't take as long as it took you, now did it," the old man said, poking Brian in the chest with his paintbrush.

Brian looked at his grandfather and smiled, remembering the joy of the day he found his own painter's vision, the sense of things under the surface which only an artist can see.

Brian walked over to the door, to go down to his son. He stopped at the threshold, and turned back to look into the room. The old man was gone, as were the paintings on the walls and the portrait of the lady, his grandmother. In the corner of the room was a pile of old rags, and some pieces of a broken table, and some cans of long-dried paint. Everything was covered with a thick layer of dust, the steady accumulation of many years.

His grandfather had, in fact, finally gotten the hands right. The painting of his grandmother, that beautiful and elegant lady his grandfather had loved so much, had been hanging in his living room now for more than thirty years.

As he left the room, he heard the faint echo of a ghostly chuckle.

(c) 2008 Joanne Easter. All Rights Reserved.

Credits:

ghost town pic - from: pinterest.com/pimpinbiscuits/old-west-ghost-towns/

poker pic - bottom of page - from: Drawing Poker, American West, American Painters,
Westerns Art, West Saloon, Art Prints, Andy Thomas, Defaul Wwwcartelpokercomt, Wild West

Tell Me A Story Album:  Here
anidup
Administrator
Awards : Bought us a coffee!

Postanidup on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:35 pm

I can read this story over and over and over, and every time it gives me goosebumps!
Very well written, Easter.
poppy100
Resident Artist
Total Awards : 2

Postpoppy100 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Goosebumps!!!....

:Autumn2017_3:  Thank you for these Beautiful siggie dear Crissi 
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:09 am

Awwww, thank you so much for bringing this back, Joanne!

I loved it the first time I read it and, like Anita, I love reading it all over again...

...definitely, shivers of wondrous thoughts <3 <3 <3

Thank you, Crissi, for my beautiful signature <3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum