Announcements
Welcome to Bloom@CherryBlossom Sims We are looking for new artists and moderators to join our lovely staff team. If you are interested, send Tilly a PM! Our Dwelling Space contest is now open! Come and join in!   The January hunt starts on the 14th! Dont miss it!
Hello!
Staff Online
If you love our forum...
Whats new?
TS4: Boho rugs by TaTschu

TS4: Train station by Lovias

TS3: Deco walls by Poppy100

TS4: A touch of gold wallpaper by TaTschu

TS3: Windyridge house by Mireluk

TS4: Pink loft by Velvetkiss

TS4: Sovereign wallpaper by Tatschu

TS4: Linen wall set by Velvetkiss

TS4: Floral wallpaper by TaTschu

TS3: Paintings by Poppy100

TS3: Westover Avenue by Mireluk

TS3: Window and door deco by Poppy100

TS4: Jenba apartments by Lorry

TS4:Terri flower collection by Anidup

TS4: Fant house by Ivyrose

TS4: Prada lightbox by Ivyrose

TS3: Paintings by Poppy100

TS3: Kitchen tray by Poppy100

TS4: Carnegie wall set by Velvertkiss

How to Use the Wayback Machine & the Dreaded Robots.txt

View previous topic View next topic Go down

szanne7000
Tech Guru
Awards : Bought us a coffee!

Postszanne7000 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi All :D

Have you ever gone cc shopping, been on a download binge, searched for a cool set you just found, or a mesh needed for a recolor?

...then you come across something like these:

Well, don't despair - there is a solution (caveat: most of the time) - the Wayback Machine!  Link

Note: I use Google Chrome, so if you're using a different internet browser, your pages may look a bit different.

This is what I do:

1. Copy the link that leads to the "not found" page

2. Go to the Wayback Machine

3. Paste the link in the url box and click Browse History

4. If Wayback has the page archived, you will see it - any images on the page may not be visible, fyi

5. Click on one of the earliest dates (preferably a date shaded blue - see the notes at the bottom of the calendar for what each color means)

7. Click the download link on the archived web page

8. Copy the download link that appears on the Wayback Machine page and paste it into a new tab to get your download

~~~~~~~

Okay - the above are the general steps to use in finding a download link via the Wayback Machine. Sometimes, however, the process is not so smooth...

...here is the first thing that can happen:

The Wayback Machine does not have that particular instance of the web page archived.

If this happens, Wayback Machine generally offers to do a general search for that webpage. It will remove the specifics of that particular archived page and look through other instances of that page.

Wayback Machine will continue to offer you more and more general searches (if it can) until there is nothing left to search.

At this point, the odds of finding what you are looking for go down as the page/post may never have been archived.

This can be disconcerting, because the particular post/page you are looking for may not have been archived.

If you got a lot of search results on your item (I look at image results, not just site results on Google Search), you may find someone else who reblogged the post or the original post link from the creator. Just follow the above steps again - your results may be very different.

If, however, you are not able to find any post with the item or items you are looking for, I would suggest putting out a wcif to see if someone has the file/files you are looking for - we are fortunate to have a wonderfully sharing community.

~~~~~~~

The next things that can happen are weird link results from Wayback Machine, including the Dreaded Robots.txt page...

...again, do not fear!

There are solutions!!!

What the robots.txt result means is that Wayback is unable to open the download link page - all you need to do is right click & copy the link and paste it into a new tab.

It really isn't any different than the steps originally listed, so do not be afraid of robots.txt.

~~~~~~~

Another common result is the Wayback Machine link result page that has a bunch of %'s or other weird things is actually a bigger problem.

It, too, though, has a solution - urldecoder!  Link

This nifty website allows one to "decode" a url - basically, it will remove all the %'s and leave you with a more readable url.

Deciding what part of a url to copy and paste for a download page can be a trial & error process, and with practice, become much easier.

You do not want to copy the part that may include a redirect. Look for the part of the results that look like a typical url address to use.

Here is one more picture of what urldecoder might give you:

~~~~~~~

Finding what you're looking for via the Wayback Machine actually happens most of the time - at least, that has been my experience.

Using Wayback Machine in conjunction with urldecorder improves the likelihood of obtaining what you are searching for...

...the key is patience and when using urldecoder, trial & error.

~~~~~~~

If you have any further questions or want more clarification, please post here <3

Thank you, Crissi, for my beautiful signature <3
Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:01 pm

Oh good grief..I just noticed this..I'm sorry Suzanne..

I'm going to have to read through this..

Thank you for this I know I will be using it lol

Thank you so much Crissi, it's beautiful
~hugs and smiles my dear, dear BFF's~
I am so proud of all of you..
valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr

Friends call me Sam(F) or Broomy or Broomhilda
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 am

Hey, yeah!

I'm happy you did, Sam...

...let me know how it goes.

...I use this, a lot! :)

Samantha61

PostSamantha61 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:07 am

Thank you Suzanne bighugs2

Haven't tried it yet but will..I am sure lol

Thank you so much Crissi, it's beautiful
~hugs and smiles my dear, dear BFF's~
I am so proud of all of you..
valentine1f

Broomhilda's Sims2
Broomhilda's Sims2 DWJ
My Tumblr

Friends call me Sam(F) or Broomy or Broomhilda
szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:46 am

summerB6

sunkal

Postsunkal on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:17 am

thank you for this link , next time it happen i want try! i have try with one type of hair of hallows sims that TJ are looking for from my portofolio , but i have not lucky Way back machin do not find the page. But thanx for this is super helpful!!

szanne7000
Tech Guru

Postszanne7000 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Bea, see if you can find a link from someplace else, like Lana cc Finds...

...if you want, send me what you have (creator, site info, the hair you are looking for) and I'll see what I can find :D

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum