Announcements
Welcome to Bloom! If you are new here, please visit our Getting Started section. You need 10 posts to access our Artists downloads. If you would like to join our team as an Artist, send Tilly a PM for more info There's lots going on for our Summer @ Bloom Watch this space!
Hello!
Staff Online
If you love our forum...
Whats new?

TS4: Sydney by Lorry

TS4: Bowls for Matt by Anidup

TS4: 1 Bloom Terrace by Lorry

TS4: Royal wedding souvenirs by Ivy Rose

TS4: Painting collection by Anidup

TS4: Ayanna by Tilly Tiger

TS4: Provence painting collection by Anidup

TS4: Bradford way by Lorry

TS4: Girly wallpaper by TaTschu

TS4: Lavender bedroom by IvyRose

TS4: Bunnies and chicks paintings by Ivyrose

TS4: Painting collection by Anidup

TS4: In the garden - Ivy by Tilly

TS4: Japanese House by Lovias

TS4: French dining curtains by Anidup

TS4: Shoreham Wharf by Tilly Tiger

Top posting users this month

TS2: Creating walls, floors and groundcover with HomeCrafter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

caravirt
Total Awards : 2

Postcaravirt on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Some info and remarks beforehand:

• I wrote this tutorial some times ago for the SimForum members (german). I translated it by request and Tilly kindly allowed to share it here as a tut for all Cherries. I have to apologize for the german explanation screens. Wasn´t able to install the english version 'over' my german so I show you the german originals.

• I only explain the work with/in the HomeCrafter tool and skip the texture preparation in a graphic tool. Means: I assume, that you have prepared your textures before you start with the tut.
    If you need support for this, please take a look in the first parts of HystericalParoxysms great tut at MTS. He explains those steps in detail for some graphic tools (Photoshop and Paint.net) and give useful hints for others.

But a little hint for your texture work: In the HomeCrafter walls/floors/groundcover folders (explanation below) you find template pictures, that are very useful for your graphic preparation.

Last edited by caravirt on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Preparation

1. Install the HomeCrafter tool.
Can download it for free here:  
HomeCrafterPlus (english version)

After installation you find additional folders in your Sims 2 game:

2. Copy the texture file (BMP, that you´ve created before in your graphic tool) in the matching folder.

Wall files (wall paper/murals/etc) in the folder walls,
floor files (stone/wood/carpet/etc) in the folder floors
groundcover files (gras/mud/desert/etc) in the folder groundcover

Example (Tile set with walls and floors):

Last edited by caravirt on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:18 am

Create walls

1. Start the HomeCrafter tool
(this may last a while … on my PC I often have to wait bout a minute – so please be patient  impatient  giggle  )

2. Choose a procedure: create wall / create floor / create groundcover

Whatever you choose – the working process after it is almost the same. So here I explain the creation of a tile wall as an example for the basics. After this I´ll explain the additional steps for creating floors.

After you´ve chosen create wall, all walls you have actually in the game will be shown

At the top you can choose the wall category, where your walls should appear later in the game. Clicking a category will change the display – only the walls from the chosen category will be shown. But later in the creating process you have to make this choice again. So I always skip this step.

4. Create new content (click on the plus button)

Now you see the image files, you´ve copied before in the walls folder.

Choose your texture for creating and click on the check button at the bottom. You´ll get this:

First: don´t be scared.  :smile201:  
A wall always is displayed 3 times (I suppose the reason is, that in this way you can better see, whether it will fit when placed side by side in the game).
Btw: if you turn of the grid (on the bottom: Grid on/off), the view will be optimized (to evaluate the look in the game). Don´t worry – the grid will not be saved with the wall, so it doesn´t matter if you turn it on or off.

5. wall description

To ‚transfer‘ the wall for the game, you now have to insert following data: a name, a price and a description. You have to choose the category, where the wall in the game later will be shown. Your entries here (name etc) will also be shown later in the game.

Hint: I created a text file, where I prepare the data (name, description, etc) for a new set. So I can copy them and only have to change the wall numbers. That´s very helpful and saves a lot of work, specially with huge sets.

After finnishing your entries, click on the left button below.

And confirm the ‚import‘ question.

The wall is imported (transferred into the game format) and you get a confirmation message.

The new wall now also is shown in the game wall list.

That´s it – the wall is ready for gaming! :Spring2: :danceani:

Last edited by caravirt on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:36 am

A little bit info 'around':

A wall (floor/groundcover) will be saved automatically in the root of your game downloads folder. With a ‘cryptic’ name (for example: wall_e79a31bb) and the extension ‘package’.

Unfortunately in the HomeCrafter settings you can´t change either name nor place, where it is saved.

But you can change the name later after leaving the HomeCrafter tool. Changing the name never leads to game problems or crashes.
But – of course: never change the extension ‘package’, cause THIS unavoidable WILL lead to problems or crashes. ohno giggle

But name or place changing cannot be done, while the HomeCrafter tool is running. So in creating many walls you may lose the overview (with the ‘cryptic’ names you can´t recognize which wall is the first, second, third or the last in a set). And closing HomeCrafter after creating 2 walls in a set of 8 or 10 (to copy them inbetween into a work folder) and then starting HomeCrafter again is embarrassing.
I have this ‚workaround‘ for huge sets:
I create 3 or 4 walls and copy the files (without renaming) in my work folder. Copying is possible while HomeCrafter runs.  victory  
In my work folder I sort them by date/time and rename them. When I finished the whole set creating, I remove the ‘original’ files in the game downloads folder.
caravirt

Postcaravirt on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:31 am

Creating floors and groundcovers

1. Groundcover
If you create a groundcover, you have 'nearly nothing' to do.  BD34
Only chose your texture, then add a name and description. No need to choose a category (cause there are no categories - a groundcover is a groundcover  :smile201: ). And the price also is predefined.

2. Floor

Creating a floor requires a little bit more work. The first steps are the same as creating a wall.
Choose your texture in the floor folder and load it. 

But in comparison to wall creating you get more decision/entry options.

Additional to name, price, description and category
you have to enter a tesselation size and decide, which floor sound shall be heard in the game, when your Sim walks over the floor (cement, wooden terrace, wood, carpet, lino, gravel or marble).

I chosed this entries for my tile floor:

Sorry that I can´t tell you more bout the tessalation sizes - I never tried any but the 1x1 size.
But I´d love to learn more about it ... please send me a message, if you ever experiment with other sizes. :inlove34:

That´s it, we´re through ...  NewY4
I hope, my little tut will be helpful and wish you a lot of fun and success in creating walls, floors and groundcovers. Can´t wait to see your creations ... :flirty:

DOWNLOAD tutorial as PDF file

Last edited by caravirt on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

one life is too short ... thank god we´ve more than one  summerB15
Stacie74

PostStacie74 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 am

I can't thank Caravirt enough for this and I can't wait to use it. I have one more question I hope someone can answer for me. I have the sims 2 ultimate collection through Orgins and its not set up the same as the disc so would I install Home Crafter the same and into what folder because you don't have the basic sime 2 or ea folder. Thank to everyone and sorry to be so much trouble.
tilly
Forum Boss
Total Awards : 5
Awards : Bought us a coffee!

Posttilly on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:26 am

Thank you Carmen for this fabulous tutorial!
Broomhilda

PostBroomhilda on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:31 am

Stacie, yes you would set it up just the same..I also have the Ultimate Collection

See Carmen is an Angel :inlove34:

Time for a Spring Siggi lol
Thank you so much Crissi, it's beautiful
~hugs and smiles my dear, dear BFF's~
I am so proud of all of you..
valentine1f
Friends call me Sam(F) or Broomie or Broomhilda

tilly
Forum Boss
Total Awards : 5

Posttilly on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 am

Stacie, when you install Homecrafter Plus, it will create a EA Games > HomeCrafter Plus folder in program files. It should work fine.
Stacie74

PostStacie74 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:06 am

I want to thank all you for all your help. HomeCrafter is working and I can't wait to get started and I can't thank all of you enough. :rose2: thau :rose2: thau
Broomhilda

PostBroomhilda on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:02 am

I can't wait to see what you can do Stacie..looking forward to your new found freedom happygroup

Again thank you so much Carmen for your help.. happybounce

Time for a Spring Siggi lol
Thank you so much Crissi, it's beautiful
~hugs and smiles my dear, dear BFF's~
I am so proud of all of you..
valentine1f
Friends call me Sam(F) or Broomie or Broomhilda

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum